I've been listening this morning to the late Jeff Buckley's definitive performance of Leonard Cohen's lovely (and dark) "Hallelujah." Cohen introduced the song in 1984, but Buckley's 1994 version --- on his only complete album, "Grace" --- put the wind under its wings, so to speak. I also like Rufus Wainwright's version --- and then there's k.d. lang's magnificent performance during opening ceremonies for the 2010 Winter Olympics.
Oft-performed recent versions have sanitized and Christianized the lyrics, in part because it has such a compelling melody, but at base the words are about love and sex and loss and that redemptive quality in human nature that produces broken hallelujahs even under dire circumstances.
I was reminded of it Saturday when Rabbi Angela Buchdahl used the melody as the setting for a Psalm during a memorial tribute to Ruth Bader Ginsburg during morning Rosh Hashanah services at Central Synagogue in Manhattan. That seemed appropriate for a woman who specialized in hallelujah. Here's the Buckley version:

Post a Comment